Winter weather brings a slew of challenges for drivers. As the temperature drops, incident expenses rise thanks to bad visibility, slippery sidewalks and lack of preparation. The good news is that the most common winter incidents are preventable.
In the coming weeks, we’ll share our best winter safety tips to help your team stay safe. Subscribe to our blog to ensure all of our winter safety content is delivered straight to your inbox, including:
- Neighborhood Hazards Infographic
- 7 Causes of Winter Injuries Poster
- Winter Safety Policy Checklist
- Pre-Trip Checklist
- Winter Course Guide
- And more!
We’re kicking off this safety series with some important information around winter slip and fall prevention. Whether you manage a commercial fleet, supervise delivery drivers or oversee a workforce of material handlers, slip and fall injury prevention should be top of mind this time of year.
- Slip, trip and fall injuries are the #1 workers’ comp claim year-round, but they’re more common in winter
- One in five injuries result in more than 31 days away from work
Winter safety training is especially important for fleets that want to minimize injury-related expenses.
- 61% of delivery driver injuries are slips, trips and falls
- The majority of work-related injuries for truck drivers are related to trips, slips, fall and overexertion due to manual materials handling
During winter, long shifts and slippery surfaces magnify every mistake. That’s why it’s important to remind workers how to take care, stay in control and plan for success.
To start, here’s a tip your team likely won’t forget: encourage employees to walk like a penguin, taking short, controlled steps in areas with poor footing.
Winter Slip and Fall Prevention in 5 Simple S.T.E.P.S.
- Stay in Control
- Take Care and Look
- Ensure a Good Grip
- Plan for Success
- Strains Mean Pain
To help your team practice good injury prevention habits as the temperatures drop, we have far more tips than simply encouraging them to walk like our arctic friends. We have developed a free poster highlighting the 5 S.T.E.P.S. to Prevent Injuries This Winter. Print it out and hang it up in your breakroom, or download the image and share it with your drivers and other team members as a seasonal safety message.
Download your free copy today!